Rugeri, Francesco ca 1675
Made by Francesco Rugeri in Cremona, around 1675.
Francesco Rugeri lived from 1620-c.-1695. He has been thought to be a pupil of Nicolò Amati but it is more likely that he was merely an influence on Rugeri’s work. His instruments are greatly admired both for their rich, full tone and for the beauty of their appearance.
The back of this lovely violin is one piece of maple cut towards the slab with irregular figure ascending from left to right and an original wing at the lower bass flank; the sides with strong flames of medium width; the scroll, not original, with fainter figure; the table in two pieces of spruce with narrow grain at the centre, broadening towards the flanks; the varnish is of an orange amber brown colour.